This pumpkin sheet cake is as easy as it is delicious. Packed with simple ingredients and topped with a yummy cream cheese frosting, this dessert can’t be beat!
A Perfect Fall Dessert
Fall is here! Time to cue all things pumpkin, including this oh so delicious pumpkin sheet cake that’s topped with a simple 4-ingredient cream cheese frosting. Let’s get into how to make this perfect fall dessert.
How to Make Pumpkin Sheet Cake
This pumpkin sheet cake comes together in 5 simple steps:
- Preheat and Prep: First, preheat oven to 350ºF and spray an 8×8-inch cake pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix Dry Ingredients: Now, place all dry ingredients into a large bowl and whisk to combine, and then set aside.
- Time for Wet Ingredients: Combine all wet ingredients (except for the coconut oil!) in a separate mixing bowl. Whisk wet ingredients together until combined and then slowly add dry ingredients into the bowl with wet ingredients.
- All Together Now: Finally, fold in melted coconut oil, and mix until combined but be careful to not over mix.
- Bake that Cake: Pour the batter into the pan and tap it a few times on the countertop to even it out and remove any bubbles. Finally, place the pumpkin cake in the oven and bake at 350ºF for 37-40 minutes.
pumpkin sheet cake pro tips
Wait for Coconut oil til the end
Add the melted coconut oil to your pumpkin cake batter right before you pour into the sheet pan. This will ensure that the coconut oil doesn’t harden before baking.
Cool Before Frosting
Allow your pumpkin sheet cake to cool completely before frosting it. Because the frosting has cream cheese and greek yogurt in it, it will become especially runny if you try and frost your cake while it’s still warm.
Get Crazy with Toppings
Feel free to top your frosted cake with any of the fun seasonal toppings we recommend below to really jazz up your cake!
Cream Cheese Frosting
This pumpkin sheet cake is topped with the most delicious cream cheese frosting. It’s a 4-ingredient frosting and oh so easy to whip together:
- Cream Cheese: Feel free to use nonfat for full-fat. Both work!
- Plain Nonfat Greek Yogurt: For this recipe, we used nonfat Greek yogurt, but if you’re a full-fat kind of person feel free to use that!
- Maple Syrup: Maple syrup is our favorite all-natural sweetener, especially for this recipe because it’s warm and sweet!
- Vanilla Extract: Every dessert recipe deserves a splash of vanilla.
How to Make Cream Cheese Frosting
Our healthy cream cheese frosting recipe only takes 10 minutes to put together! Here’s how to do it:
- Add all 4 ingredients into a large bowl.
- Then, use your hand mixer to whip all of the ingredients together until smooth.
- Frost this delicious pumpkin sheet cake immediately, and ENJOY.
Want some quick tips on how to soften cream cheese? Check out this post from our sister site, The Cheese Knees.
This cream cheese frosting is delicious and beautiful on its own, but if you’re looking to really jazz up this pumpkin cake, you go right ahead and sprinkle any of the following on top of your frosted cake:
- Dusting of cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
- Chopped nuts
- Roasted pumpkin seeds
- Candy corn
How to Store Pumpkin Sheet Cake
Because this pumpkin sheet cake is frosted with a cream cheese frosting, it will keep best in the fridge. If your sheet pan has a cover, great! If not, top with aluminum foil or plastic wrap and place in the fridge to store. Enjoy for up to 3 days.
- 1.5 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1.5 teaspoons pumpkin spice
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 15-oz. can pumpkin puree
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 2 oz. (approx. 1/2 cup) fat-free cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup nonfat, plain Greek yogurt, almost room temperature
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- First, preheat oven to 350ºF and spray an 8×8-inch cake pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Next, place all dry ingredients into a large bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Combine all wet ingredients (except for the coconut oil) in a separate mixing bowl. Whisk wet ingredients together until combined and then slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients.
- Finally, fold in melted coconut oil. Mix until combined but be careful to not over mix.
- Pour the batter into the pan and tap it a few times on the countertop to even it out and remove any bubbles. Then, place the pumpkin cake in the oven and bake at 350ºF for 37-40 minutes.
- While the cake is baking, place all of the ingredients for the cream cheese frosting into a bowl and use an electric mixer to whip all the ingredients together until the frosting is smooth.
- Remove the pumpkin cake from the oven and let it cool completely before frosting the cake.
- Sprinkle the cake with your favorite chopped nut and enjoy!
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/9 recipe Calories: 296 Sugar: 20 Sodium: 192 Fat: 5 Carbohydrates: 47 Fiber: 4 Protein: 12 Cholesterol: 48
Keywords: pumpkin sheet cake